Saturday 4 April 2009

West Burton to Aysgarth Round.

The second walk we did was a little shorter than the first, only about four miles, or six kilometers.

First we drove to the village of West Burton, near Ripon, and parked up beside the village green.
It's one of those villages that makes you say things like,

"Ooh, wouldn't it be lovely to live here?" then start making silent plans in your head to move there one day, yet still know, deep down, that you never will!

There is a single pub, a village shop, a Post Office, and a family run Butcher's shop there, just like in the old days!

Wouldn't it be lovely to live there one day?


Anyway, we set off from West Burton, and walked over the fields towards Aysgarth. I was particularly looking forward to seeing Aysgarth Falls on this walk.


(Click 'em to see 'em bigger.)


The first ten minutes..


Okay, I got a bit lost here, the map didn't show all the bloody walls and fences that were in these fields. It was damned windy up on the tops too!


Eventually though, we got our first glimpse of Aysgarth Falls..

Not much I can say really.. The awesome power of nature?


Uh-huh..


I can't really take credit for this one, as I'm starring in it! Taken by my Girlfriend.


And here is what I was photographing in the photograph.


This was in an old farm building, not too sure just what it is, some kind of hay shredding contraption? Looks somewhat sinister though, so I thought it'd make a good photo.


I'd love to do this walk again in the summer, and get right down to the upper, mid, and lower falls, as we could only reach the mid to lower ones at this time of year.

I'll try not to get lost partway through next time too!



2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Go and live there.....do it!
You brought back childhood memories for me with this post.
Thank you.

Bemused Wolf said...

You're very welcome!

Did you grow up around there, or just remember visiting?