Wednesday 4 February 2009

Shh! Quiet please..

Can you guess where I was earlier today..? Here are a few hints;

A place filled with the loud clattering of heavy handed typing,

A place filled with the shrill sound of beeping barcode readers,

A place filled with the shrieking of undisciplined children, and clueless parents,

A place filled with staff, and patrons alike, speaking with each other in blatantly unhushed voices, about last night's soap operas.

A place infuriatingly topped off by the intrusive bleeps, buzzes, and melodies of mobile phones and gadgets,

Can you guess where I was today?

A busy office, or school, or shopping centre? No.

A noisy Starbucks, or McDonalds? No.

Honestly, you'll never guess.

I was in the library.

I haven't been in a library for some years now, and have never been in York library, until today.

Now, please correct me if I stand mistaken, but as I remember it, libraries are places where people go to read, and study. A place where, as a child, if I were so much as to cough loudly, I would have disapproving glares shot at me, and more than a few 'Shushes'.
What happened to our libraries? Is it perhaps just York library that is noisier, and more distracting, than any other library in the Country?

Well, I couldn't concentrate, so what did I do?

I spent the afternoon in a Costa coffee shop, enjoying peace,quiet, good coffee, and reading my nice book!





No comments: